Welcome to Bridgwater Online

Bridgwater is a historic town dating back thousands of years, Once having a Castle, it has had a Mayor since 1469, was the first town to apply for the abolition of slavery and one of the oldest towns to have a MP, we have an annual fair every September and the Largest Illuminated Carnival in November where people come from all over the world come to see..with Squibbing unique to the town.

Robert Blake (1598 – 1657) was one of the most important military commanders of the Commonwealth of England and one of the most famous English admirals of the 17th century whose successes have never been excelled, not even by Nelson. Blake is recognized as the chief founder of England's naval supremacy, a dominance subsequently inherited by the British Royal Navy into the early 20th century. Despite this, due to deliberate attempts to expunge the Parliamentarians from history following the Restoration, Blake's achievements tend not to receive the full recognition that they deserve.
The unveiling of the statue to Admiral Robert Blake took place on Thursday 4th October 1900. It was unveiled by the Right Honorable Lord Brassey K.C.B.

 
   
 

Bridgwater Town Hall was built in 1823 by Richard Carver as the town's principal municipal building with provision of council office space and an auditorium come ballroom. During the 1940s and 1950s it hosted repertory theatre and provided cinema facilities. It is still used as a multi-purpose public hall. The main auditorium can seat up to 445 for a theatrical performance, including 115 balcony with tiered seating. For social events and dances, numbers are dependent on the configuration of tables and chairs. The Hall is ideal for large shows and concerts requiring a large, deep stage

   

The Church of St Mary was built in the 13th century, and has been designated as a Grade I listed building. It is dedicated to Saint Mary, the Virgin.
The building is on the site of an earlier church which was rebuilt by William Briwere in the early 13th century.
St Mary's church has a north porch and windows dating from the 14th century. During the 15th and 16th centuries chapels were added, modifying the nave and the chancel extended. r. The spire, which was built in 1367, is 114 feet 7.5 inches (34.938 m) high and sits on top of the 64 feet (20 m) tower. The spire was split by lightning in 1814 and repaired the following year. On the face of the tower is a clock installed in 1869 replacing earlier clocks which had been on the tower since 1393. Within the tower are eight bells. The oldest bell dates from 1617 with further bells being added through the 17th and 18th centuries. The most recent bell is the Tenor which dates from 1868 and was cast by John Taylor & Co.